Currency Coming and Going
- Wartime cash hoard found under a British tailor's floorboards, with a Churchill connection (CNN). And here, with some nice photos (Daily Mail).
- The Cairo (NY) Historical Society exhibits the currency of Greene County, courtesy of Matt Draiss (Hudson Valley 360).
- The first $1 United States Note (Bank Note Reporter, via Numismatic News).
- New chapter on Madeira in the Banknote Book (E-Sylum). With an explanation as to what and where Madeira is.
- Some unconventional paper odds and ends (Bank Note Reporter, via Numismatic News).
- Another look at the latest "In God We Trust" decision (Coinweek).
- Heritage auctions Asian monetary history (Coinweek).
- Stack's Bowers lucky 8's (Coinweek).
- Reserve Bank of India looks to help the visually impaired (Secura Monde).
- Maryland's lottery tickets (E-Sylum).
- More on artistic re-imaginings of U.S. currency (Coin World). And a video (Behance).
- Railroads, finance, and nation-building (The National, via E-Sylum).
- A parallel currency for Italy (Forbes).
- Nostalgia for money in an increasingly cashless society (The Bulletin).
- Dirty Naira fuels tempers in Nigeria (Vanguard).
- What the Washington Monument might have looked like, on a banknote (Coin World).
- A late-19th century traveler's check (Bank Note Reporter, via Numismatic News).
- Somalia's new 5,000 and 10,000 shilling notes (CGTN). And here (The East African).
- Zimbabwe opposition leader proposes new currency linked to Rand (ENCA).
- Bahraini collector turns his house into a museum, which includes "the rare American $2 bill" (Gulf News).
- South Sudan to introduce a 500 pound note (Africa). And here (Sudan Tribune). And here (Secura Monde).
- Sudan's new 50 pound note (Reuters). And here (Steven Bron). Nb: this is not South Sudan.
- Venezuela goes from bad to worse (MRI Bankers' Guide).
- Some background to Venezuela's redenomination (Numismaster).
- A 500,000 guaranies note? Paraguay says there's no such thing (Paraguay.com, in Spanish).
- In a referendum, the Swiss reject "Vollgeld" (Reuters).
Leider, Nein (Reuters)
About the Banknote Industry
Upcoming Industry Conferences
- Security Document World conference, London, UK, June 25-27, 2018 (SDW 2018).
- African Currency Forum, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, September 2-5, 2018 (African Currency Forum).
- The Anti-Counterfeit & Currency Expo, Las Vegas NV, November 6-8, 2018 (News Anyway).
From the Annals of Crime
Websites to Like
- Paper Money Forum (Numismatic discussion threads)
- Newman Numismatic Portal (Digital numismatic library)
- Numismatic Bibliomania Society (Includes E-Sylum, the weekly online complement to the NBS's journal, The Asylum)
- The American Revenue Association (Hobby website).
- The American Historical Print Collectors Society (Hobby website).
- International Bank Note Society (useful features even for non-members).
- The Banknote Den (David Lok's website, with superb essays as well as a link to his book, The Many Faces of Money).
- The Higgins Museum (the one in Okoboji, IA, not Worcester, MA)
- The Currency Collector (more good essays by John Sandrock).
- COINWeek (numismatic aggregator with some paper money content).
- MRI Bankers' Guide (for its updates of new banknotes).
- Mujand (fantasy banknote maker).
- Alternative Banknotes and Coins (Alternatehistory). Fantasy thread.
- Stane Straus's Polymer Banknotes of the World
- Banknote News (roundup of news and promotional website for The Banknote Book).
- Tom Chao (collector's blog with active updates).
- Stevenbron Banknotes (collector's blog with active updates).
- Mintage World (online museum of Indian numismatics).
- Chattanooga Money (site details historical episodes in Chattanooga, Tennessee's monetary and banking history)
- Banknotesworld ("THE German-language Banknote forum") Discussion threads and more.
- Counting on Currency (Industry website).
- Kuster's Engineering (Company website). Your expert in currency disintegration.
- PYMNTS.com (Industry website).
- Currency Research (Industry website).
- International Banknote Designers Association (Industry website)
- International Association of Currency Affairs (Industry website).
- International Banknote Designers Association (Industry website).
- De La Rue (Company website).
- Secura Monde International (Company website). Good banknote news feed.
- Giesecke & Devrient (Company website).
- Patronus Systems (Company website).
- Our Passports (travel documents and other ephemera)
- Social Money (a Flickr album of photographs illustrating modern complementary currencies, heavy on Argentina).
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (search for banknotes etc.).
- Where's George? (currency tracking project).
- CoinsWeekly, especially its fine list of links to museums and other numismatic resources.
- Blog du CNA (Club Numismatique d'Argenteuil)
- French Banknotes of War (Collector's website). Abundant material in English and French.
- AFEP Association Française pour l'Étude du Papier-monnaie
- Monnaies Locales Complementaires
- Guild of Independent Currencies (promotes local currencies in the U.K.)
- Our Money (Eurozone currency).
- The Ephemera Society of America (Hobby website, with archived articles on ephemera topics)
- Fictional currency galleries (Deviant Art).
- Pakistani Currency