Currency Coming and Going
- The anniversary of "In God We Trust" becoming a currency motto (Politico).
- What cryptocurrencies might look like in physical form (Design Boom).
- Zimbabwe's continuing cash shortage (NPR).
- The Joel R. Anderson collection, Part II (Coinweek).
- A roundup of awards given at the IPMS-Kansas City (Numismaster).
- A Colombian five peso gold certificate (Numismatic News).
- The Exeter Pound will become defunct (Devon Live).
- An interview with currency designer Roger Pfund (Numismag).
- Zero Euro notes celebrate World Cup games (Mintage World).
- McDonald's to issue its own currency (Restaurant Business).
- When will Cuba have a unified currency? (Miami Herald).
- Poland's centenary note (Coin World).
- From Swaziland to eSwatini (Mintage World).
- A dual currency for Italy--and for Europe? (Social Europe).
- Cash is a miracle, but cash is disappearing (Slate).
- Venezuela to remove five zeros from the bolivar (Deutsche Welle). And here (Bloomberg).
- A Caledonian Banking Company note at auction (Mintage World).
- Egypt denies plans to issue high-denomination banknotes (Egypt Today).
- Guinea (Conakry) to launch 2,000 franc note in 2019 (Guinee Matin, in French).
- Where are Ukraine's high-denomination notes? (The Siver Post).
- "Solid Eights" to be auctioned by Stack's Bowers (Numismatic News).
- Archives International auction catalog for August 8, 2018 (Archives International).
- Hong Kong's new banknote series (ECNS). More detail on their security features (Coin Update). Yum cha, butterflies, and opera (South China Morning Post). Usual good collector commentary here (Steven Bron) and here (Banknote News). Does the $100 bill look too much like Hell Money? (Quartz). Why they should have featured famous faces instead (South China Morning Post).
- A profile of Hell Bank Notes (PlanetSlade, via E-Sylum).
- Dealing with the cash shortage in Zimbabwe (BBC, via E-Sylum).
- Very low serial numbered Canadian notes (Canadian Coin News, via E-Sylum).
Hong Kong's new banknote series (ECNS).
About the Banknote Industry
Upcoming Industry Conferences
- African Currency Forum, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, September 2-5, 2018 (African Currency Forum).
- World Banknote Summit, Frankfurt, Germany, September 24-26, 2018 (World Banknote Summit).
- High Security Printing-Asia, Hanoi, Vietnam, December 3-5, 2018 (Reconnaissance)
- The Anti-Counterfeit & Currency Expo, Las Vegas NV, November 6-8, 2018 (News Anyway).
- The Future of Cash 2019, Athens, Greece, February 20-21, 2019 (Future of Cash).
From the Annals of Crime
Websites to Like
- Paper Money Forum (Numismatic discussion threads)
- Newman Numismatic Portal (Digital numismatic library)
- Numismatic Bibliomania Society (Includes E-Sylum, the weekly online complement to the NBS's journal, The Asylum)
- The American Revenue Association (Hobby website).
- The American Historical Print Collectors Society (Hobby website).
- International Bank Note Society (useful features even for non-members).
- The Banknote Den (David Lok's website, with superb essays as well as a link to his book, The Many Faces of Money).
- The Higgins Museum (the one in Okoboji, IA, not Worcester, MA)
- The Currency Collector (more good essays by John Sandrock).
- COINWeek (numismatic aggregator with some paper money content).
- MRI Bankers' Guide (for its updates of new banknotes).
- Mujand (fantasy banknote maker).
- Alternative Banknotes and Coins (Alternatehistory). Fantasy thread.
- Stane Straus's Polymer Banknotes of the World
- Banknote News (roundup of news and promotional website for The Banknote Book).
- Tom Chao (collector's blog with active updates).
- Stevenbron Banknotes (collector's blog with active updates).
- Mintage World (online museum of Indian numismatics).
- Chattanooga Money (site details historical episodes in Chattanooga, Tennessee's monetary and banking history)
- Banknotesworld ("THE German-language Banknote forum") Discussion threads and more.
- Counting on Currency (Industry website).
- Kuster's Engineering (Company website). Your expert in currency disintegration.
- PYMNTS.com (Industry website).
- Currency Research (Industry website).
- International Banknote Designers Association (Industry website)
- International Association of Currency Affairs (Industry website).
- International Banknote Designers Association (Industry website).
- De La Rue (Company website).
- Secura Monde International (Company website). Good banknote news feed.
- Giesecke & Devrient (Company website).
- Patronus Systems (Company website).
- Our Passports (travel documents and other ephemera)
- Social Money (a Flickr album of photographs illustrating modern complementary currencies, heavy on Argentina).
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (search for banknotes etc.).
- Where's George? (currency tracking project).
- CoinsWeekly, especially its fine list of links to museums and other numismatic resources.
- Blog du CNA (Club Numismatique d'Argenteuil)
- French Banknotes of War (Collector's website). Abundant material in English and French.
- AFEP Association Française pour l'Étude du Papier-monnaie
- Monnaies Locales Complementaires
- Guild of Independent Currencies (promotes local currencies in the U.K.)
- Our Money (Eurozone currency).
- The Ephemera Society of America (Hobby website, with archived articles on ephemera topics)
- Fictional currency galleries (Deviant Art).
- Pakistani Currency