From the Internet Bookshelf
--Each week News & Notes brings you material from around The Web with paper money content--
Selected Articles from Caishen's Temple--Asia Money
Currency Coming and Going
- New supplies of currency won't be politicized, Liberia's President promises (All Africa).
- Afghanistan's Cash Crunch (Cash Essentials).
- Zimbabwe government employees go on strike over getting paid in Zim dollars (Bloomberg Quint).
- A Taiwanese family still makes joss paper by hand (SCMP).
- Exhibition explores when Leeds-made money was a sound investment (Wharfedale Observer). And Leeds link to bogus banknotes (BBC).
- A Brief History of the Trinidad and Tobago Dollar (Banknote World).
- Tunisia--North African Banknote History (Banknote World).
- Iranian donates his banknote collection to the to the Coins Museum of the Imam Reza Holy Shrine (ABNA).
- Vietnamese woman swallows banknotes, cashes out at hospital (Vn Express).
- Costa Rica set to withdraw old, paper banknotes (Tico Times).
- Londoners, get rid of those old notes (My London).
- Adamantios Korais on a Greek 100 drachma note (Harvard Magazine).
- Numismatics isn't so cringe (New York Times).
- Why Henry III's Gold Penny Failed (JP Koning).
- Plans for the first euro banknotes, Part III (Geldscheine-online, in German).
- The currency notes of the Jason Islands (Geldscheine-online, in German).
- Banknote protests against the Treaty of Versailles (Geldscheine-online, in German).
- Visual artist Paul Rousso's "Big Money" exhibition (Swissinfo).
- DISSERTATION: Greenbacks and Greybacks: Iconographic Depictions of Union and Confederate Nationalism on Civil War-Era Currency, by Christian Lengyel, Kent State University (OhioLINK). Filed 2021. Full text pdf at link.
A Swiss Twenty, by Paul Rousso (Swissinfo)
The Business of Collecting
New Banknote Issues
Local Coin/Numismatic Shows Happening this Week
(U.S. Shows only, some very local--call ahead to confirm)
- Ocala Coin Club Show, Gainesville, FL, February 3-5 (Ocala Coin Club).
- CoinExpo San Jose, San Jose, CA, February 4-5 (Coinzip).
- Knoxville Coin and Currency Show, Knoxville, TN, February 4-5 (TSNS).
- Houston February Winter Coin Show, Houston, TX, February 4-5 (Coinzip).
- Low Country Winter Coin Show, Charleston, SC, February 4-6 (LCCC).
- 73rd Collectorama Show, Lakeland, FL, February 10-12 (Coinzip).
- Redwood Empire Show, Santa Rosa, CA, February 11-12 (Coinzip).
- St. Louis Numismatic Association Coin Show, St. Louis, MO, February 11-13 (Greysheet).
- Charlotte Coin Club Annual Show, Charlotte, NC, February 11-13 (Charlotte Coin Club).
- Laughlin River Coin Show, Laughlin, NV, February 11-14 (Greysheet).
Upcoming Online Currency Auctions
- Heritage U.S. Currency Weekly Auction, February 1 (Greysheet).
- Heritage World Paper Money Weekly Auction, February 1 (Greysheet).
- Stack's Bowers Collectors Choice Auction Part 4, February 2 (Stack's Bowers).
- World Banknote Auctions Live Sale 21, February 3 (World Banknote Auctions).
- Heritage The Traveler Collection Part I, February 6 (Greysheet).
- Heritage U.S. Currency Weekly Auction, February 8 (Greysheet).
- Heritage World Paper Money Weekly Auction, February 8 (Greysheet).
- Stack's Bowers World Collectors Choice Auction, February 10 (Greysheet).
- CGB Numismatique Internet Auction February 2022, February 15 (cgb.fr).
- Teutoburger Muenzauktion 144, March 4 (Teutoburger Muenzauktion).
Major Coin and Currency Shows
- 2022 National Money Show, Colorado Springs, CO, March 10-12, 2022 (ANA).
- Edmonton Coin Show, Edmonton, AB, March 12-13, 2022 (Edmonton Numismatic Society).
- 2022 Chicago World's Fair of Money, August 16-20, 2022 (ANA).
- XVI International Numismatic Congress, Warsaw, Poland, September 11-16, 2022 (INC).
Banknote, Security Printing, and Cash Management Industries
Upcoming Industry Conferences
- The Banknote/Currency Conference, Washington, D.C., Feb. 21-24 2022 (Currency Research).
- HSP-Latin America, Mexico City, March 14-16, 2022 (Reconnaissance).
- Tax Stamp and Traceability Forum, Malta, May 16-18, 2022 (Reconnaissance).
- HSP-EMEA, Tallinn, Estonia, June 13-15, 2022 (Reconnaissance).
- HSP-Asia, Colombo, Sri Lanka, Dec. 5-7, 2022 (Reconnaissance).
From the Annals of Crime
Websites to Like
- Paper Money Forum (Numismatic discussion threads)
- Newman Numismatic Portal (Digital numismatic library)
- Numismatic Bibliomania Society (Includes E-Sylum, the weekly online complement to the NBS's journal, The Asylum)
- The American Revenue Association (Hobby website).
- New York Toll Script and Tokens (Collector website)..
- The American Historical Print Collectors Society (Hobby website).
- International Bank Note Society (useful features even for non-members).
- The Banknote Den (David Lok's website, with superb essays as well as a link to his book, The Many Faces of Money).
- The Higgins Museum (the one in Okoboji, IA, not Worcester, MA)
- Cigar History Museum's coupon gallery
- Boordgeld (Dutch ships' money)
- Depression Scrip (emergency money of the 1930s, and more)
- Wisconsin Depression Scrip
- Caishen's Temple-Asia Money
- Minnesota Nice
- The Currency Collector (more good essays by John Sandrock).
- Curious Banknotes (British Transition Towns, British 20th century vouchers, Micronations).
- COINWeek (numismatic aggregator with some paper money content).
- MRI Bankers' Guide (for its updates of new banknotes).
- Mujand (fantasy banknote maker).
- Alternative Banknotes and Coins (Alternatehistory). Fantasy thread.
- Stane Straus's Polymer Banknotes of the World
- Banknote News (roundup of news and promotional website for The Banknote Book).
- Tom Chao (collector's blog with active updates).
- Stevenbron Banknotes (collector's blog with active updates).
- Mintage World (online museum of Indian numismatics).
- Chattanooga Money (site details historical episodes in Chattanooga, Tennessee's monetary and banking history)
- My Georgia Collection (collector site devoted to "Georgia State Notes, Obsolete Currency, Bonds, and Alternative Scrip")
- Banknotesworld ("THE German-language Banknote forum") Discussion threads and more.
- Counting on Currency (Industry website).
- Kuster's Engineering (Company website). Your expert in currency disintegration.
- PYMNTS.com (Industry website).
- Currency Research (Industry website).
- International Banknote Designers Association (Industry website)
- International Association of Currency Affairs (Industry website).
- International Banknote Designers Association (Industry website).
- De La Rue (Company website).
- Secura Monde International (Company website). Good banknote news feed.
- Giesecke & Devrient (Company website).
- Our Passports (travel documents and other ephemera)
- Social Money (a Flickr album of photographs illustrating modern complementary currencies, heavy on Argentina).
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (search for banknotes etc.).
- Where's George? (currency tracking project).
- CoinsWeekly, numismatic website run by Ursula Kampmann. German-language version is here. Content is not identical.
- Blog du CNA (Club Numismatique d'Argenteuil)
- French Banknotes of War (Collector's website). Abundant material in English and French.
- AFEP Association Française pour l'Étude du Papier-monnaie
- Monnaies Locales Complementaires
- Guild of Independent Currencies (promotes local currencies in the U.K.)
- Our Money (Eurozone currency).
- The Ephemera Society of America (Hobby website, with archived articles on ephemera topics)
- A Library of Scrip and Local Currency
- Fictional currency galleries (Deviant Art).
- Pakistani Currency